We all know that Ice Cube likes his movies to contain a message. This one is no exception. In fact it does it extremely well... This PG-13 outing (language and sexual situations) makes it clear how important Community is to our society, as first shown in Calvin's Barbershop, 10 years ago.
So what has happened in the 10 years since we last visited our friends? Director Malcolm D. Lee ("The Best Man Holiday") is happy to show us. Now half of the shop is devoted to the girls! It's no longer an all-male sanctuary where the guys can relax, gossip and shoot the breeze, but a shared space where weaves, wigs and women also find each other.
Here is part of the cast:
- * Ice Cube ("Ride Along") is Calvin, worried about his testy teenage son and thinking about relocating his family and his shop to a safer part of Chicago.
- * Jasmin Lewis ("Barbershop") Jennifer shares her husband's concerns but wants to give their boy time to grow up a bit before they yank him away from his classmates and move to a new part of town.
- * Regina Hall ("Vacation") Angie understands Calvin's concern, but half of their business contains her beauty shop and she isn't ready to move.
- * Nicki Minaj ("The Other Woman") Draya can't help but flirt, and it's obvious that she has Rashad in her sights
- * Common ("The Wiz Live!") Rashad tries to stay out of Draya's clutches. The bigger challenge is convincing his wife that he HAS stayed out of Draya's clutches!
- * Eve ("With This Ring") Terri is even more successful and doing a lot of traveling. Problem is, she can tell Draya is eying her man...
- * Cedric the Entertainer ("The Soul Man") Eddie never shuts up. He is the Grand Old Man in that little community and he is upset every time he sees baggy pants and dreadlocks or hears guns.
- * Anthony Anderson ("Black-ish") J.D. claims the revenue from his business is for the boys and girls clubs in their part of Chicago... Ummm.... Uh oh.....
A barbershop is the best gathering place in the community. We had a chance to hear all sides of today's issues, delivered with conviction and heart. These are good people, trying to do what's right. We liked it.