The full name is "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" but I doubt if that will fit on very many marquees.
Based on Judith Viorst's classic book by the same name, we see a wonderful cast bring these beloved characters to life:
- Ed Oxenbould ("Julian") is our hero Alexander, caught up in his own misery, but eventually he realizes having gum stuck in his hair isn't the worst thing that's happened, he soon notices that he isn't the only one having a bad day...
- Dylan Minnette ("Prisoners") is his brother Anthony Cooper, who... well... you'll have to see it. (They call him Wreck-it Ralph at school.) Small hint, he has a driver's test today.
- Kerris Dorsey (Lots of TV) His sister Emily Cooper is scheduled to play Tinkerbell in the school production of Peter Pan today, but she woke up with a bad cold!
- Jennifer Garner ("Draft Day") is Kelly Cooper, his mother. You should see the typo in the children's book she is publishing!
- Steve Carell ("The Way, Way Back") is his dad Ben Cooper, who has cheerfully kept the home fires burning since he was downsized, but he has a job interview...and a baby to tend...and a birthday cake to bake... and a son in trouble at school...and a daughter in a play...and his wife may have lost her job.
- Dick Van Dyke ("Night at the Museum") makes us smile when he shows up ready and willing to read a brand new book to an eager audience... Oops!
- Megan Mullally (Lots of TV) is Nina, the demanding dame in charge of the publishing house where Kelly works.
- Jennifer Coolidge ("Austenland") is the driver's license examiner. In my opinion, I think that's a dirty trick that she pulls on Anthony.
- ...and then there's the alligator....
Well, you'd have to be there. We were in a theater full of little 'uns and not a peep was heard. There is enough silly mayhem on screen to keep them occupied and the adults laugh, too! (I like it when they kick the garbage cans.)
It's Disney, so the Super Coopers MUST prevail and a happy ending is enjoyed by all.